PrimeFaces Push Unleashed
We have actually offered two push solutions for JSF in the past, one is an early adoption on atmosphere 2 years ago and other one is the websocket only approach available in PrimeFaces 3.x. Both solutions never reached a mature state and adopted by PrimeFaces Community so we have decided to get back to Atmosphere once again but this time with a major change;
Atmosphere Framework is the de-facto standard of Push Frameworks for Java EE featuring scalability, support for several containers and browsers, utilization of various transports such as websockets, sse, long-polling, streaming and jsonp. It has been widely adopted by many other frameworks and used currently in production including Wall Street Journal (wsj.com) and SmartMoney.com.
Atmosphere is created by Jeanfrancois Arcand, (author of Grizzly and async http client), a top notch developer and one of the few experts in the world regarding real time web applications. We have invited Jeanfrancois as a consultant for a week in Istanbul to help us out, luckily he accepted and travelled all the way from Quebec to Turkey. During the week, except enjoying nice Turkish Cuisine, sightseeing in Istanbul, presenting Atmosphere at a Turkish JUG group event, playing basketball and countless joyful non work related discussions, Jeanfrancois created the architecture and provided the implementation of PrimePush. He is now a PrimeFaces Committer and we’ll continue working together for future enhancements. It is a great pleasure to work with him.
We have created various new demos to show the PrimeFaces Push and Atmosphere in action;
- Counter: Shared counter among clients.
- Chat: Chat sample with dynamic channels and private messaging.
- Check-in: Real-Time location based push notifications integrated with Maps.
- ViewParam: Push messages via GET and JSF View param feature.
- FacesMessage: Sending FacesMessages to subcribers and using Growl for display.
- TwitterSearch: Realtime twitter search featuring scheduled broadcaster.
- PhotoShare: Taking a photo with PhotoCam component and send it to every other subscriber.
PrimeFaces Push will be available in upcoming 3.4 release which is due early August.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank Jeanfrancois, he arrived as a consultant and after a week, left as a friend!